• Tamarind, lemon-sized ball
• 1 tbsp – Channa dal/Bengal gram dal
• 1 tbsp – Urad Dal
• 1 tsp – powdered Jaggery
• 1/2 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
• 1 tsp – pepper
• 10 – Red Chillies
• Asafoetida, a pinch
• 2 tsp – gingili oil
• Salt to taste
• 1/2 tsp – mustard
- Fry the ingredients (urad dal, Bengal gram dal, fenugreek seeds, pepper and red chillies) till golden brown and powder.
- Soak tamarind in a little water and extract the juice.
- Temper mustard in oil. Add tamarind juice and boil well.
- Once tamarind juice starts to thicken, add the ground ingredients, jaggery, asafoetida and salt to taste.
- In case you would like to store the thokku for later use, add more oil while cooking.
Recipe courtesy of parvathi