• 1 cup – short grained Rice
• 1/4 cup and 2 tbsp – split green gram/moong dal
• Salt to taste
• To Temper:
• 1 tsp – whole peppercorns
• 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 1 inch – ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
• A pinch – Asafoetida
• A few sprigs – Curry leaves
• A few unbroken Cashew nuts
- Wash and clean rice and dal well until the water runs clear. Mix them both and add 5 cups of water. Place them in a pressure cooker and cook for 10-15 minutes or until 3-4 whistles.
- Meanwhile in a little ghee, temper the ginger slices, then add peppercorns and cumin.
- Saute till aromatic and reddish.
- At the very end, add curry leaves and asafoetida, stir for 2-3 seconds and remove with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan, add the cashew nuts and roast till they turn reddish.
- Now along with salt, add the tempered spice/nut mixture and the rice. Mix well.
- Serve hot.
- Recipe Courtesy: http://chefinyou.com/