• 2 cups – Basmati Rice
• 2 tbsp – Cumin seeds
• 6-8 – Green chillies
• 3/4 cup – Grated Coconut
• Tamarind juice of a small Lemon size
• 1/4 cup – Oil
• 1.5 spoons – Urad Dal and split Chana dal each
• 1 – Medium size chopped Onion
• A handful of Peanuts
• 1/4 cup – Chopped Coriander leaves and few Curry leaves
• 1/2 tsp – Salt and Turmeric powder
- Grind cumin seeds, tamarind juice, green chillies and coconut together.
- Heat oil in a non-stick vessel.
- Add mustard after it splutters add fry both dals till they turn light brown.
- Add peanut and after a few seconds add chopped onion and turmeric powder.
- After few seconds add the ground masala, salt and 1/2 cup of water and keep stirring it for around 10 minutes, close the lid and simmer it for about 15 minutes at the end add coriander and curry leaves.
- Keep it overnight outside (not in fridge) next day add it to the cooked rice and mix well.
Recipe courtesy of Arathi