• 300g – Karela with tender seeds, grated fine
• 1 tbsp – Jaggery powder
• 1/2 tbsp – Aamchur powder
• 2 tsp – Dhania powder
• A pinch of Turmeric
• 2 tsp – chopped, Coriander leaves
• 1.5 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 6 peeled, crushed Garlic Cloves
• 1 tbsp – oil
• 1 tbsp – ground nuts, dry fried and powdered
- Mix karela with salt and amchur powder and keep aside for 1/2 hour
- After 1/2 hour, squeeze the karela to remove moisture
- This also removes most of the bitterness
- Place this in a microwave safe bowl, add 1 tablespoon oil, crushed garlic, dhania powder and red chilli powder (a pinch of salt if required) and mix thoroughly.
- Cook covered under microwave high for 4 min, stirring after 2 mins.
- Add jaggery powder and mix well, microwave high for 2 mins.
- Check the curry and micro high again for another 1 or 2 mins if necessary (depending on the type of oven).
- Remove from oven and sprinkle coriander leaves and ground nut powder.
- Mix and allow standing time.
- This is a very tasty and healthy curry especially for diabetics (omit jaggery for them).
- Can be served with plain rice/chapatti/poori.
Recipe courtesy of Uma Devi Ramachandra