Crispy Chinese snack made with spicy vegetable stuffing in flour pastry
1 1/4 cup (250 gm) maida (plain flour)
1 egg or baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup spring onion
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup shredded french beans
1/2 cup shredded celery (optional)
3 chopped green chilies
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
2 tablespoon soya sauce
1/2 tablespoon white pepper powder
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. For the pastry, sieve the flour with salt, mix in egg (or baking powder) and water to make a smooth batter.
2. Heat little oil in a flat pan (preferably non-stick) and add about 2 tablespoon batter so that it covers the base of the pan.
3. Cook from both sides until light golden brown. Repeat the procedure until batter is consumed.
4. For the stuffing, heat oil in a wok or pan, add ginger-garlic paste and stir fry for 1 minute.
5. Add onions and fry until transparent and not brown.
6. Add celery and stir fry for about a minute, then add carrots, cabbage, beans and cook until they are tender but crisp.
7. Add salt, pepper and soya sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
8. For the spring roll, place 2-3 tablespoon of filling in the center of each pancake.
9. Fold in the sides forming a tight rectangular roll and seal the edges with water.
10. Deep fry spring rolls in oil until golden.
11. Serve hot.