Hyderabadi food is very popular not only in India but all over the world and its biryani recipe is very delicious and mouthwatering. Mutton Biryani is one of the famous and tempting Hyderabadi cuisine and absolutely delicious recipe. This biryani is generally prepare by cooking marinated mutton then tempering and rice added to it and cook it until done. This biryani is colorful and full of fragrant with spices.
– 2 cups basmati rice
– 2 cups water
– 1/2 kg mutton
– 2 large sliced onions
– 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
– 4 finely chopped green chillies
– 3/4 cup chopped mint & coriander leaves
– 2 teaspoons coriander powder
– 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
– 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
– 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
– 1/2 teaspoon biryani masala
– Salt to taste
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon curd
– 1 bay leaf
– 2 sticks cinnamon
– 2 green cardamom
– 2 cloves
– 1 star anise
– 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
– 2 mace
How To Cook?
To Marinate Mutton
1. In a medium bowl, combine together curd, ginger-garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon of red chilli powder and salt and make a paste.
2. Marinate the mutton with this paste and allow it to marinate for at least 3 hours.
To Make Biryani
1. Wash the basmati into running water and soak in cold water for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, pressure cook the marinated mutton for 7-8 whistles or until soft and tender. Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
3. In a wide heavy bottom pan, heat oil and add bay leaf, fennel seeds, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, mace and star anise and saut? it to sizzle for 10-12 seconds or until it release the aroma.
4. Now, add onions and saut? it for about 3-4 minutes till it turns golden brown.
5. Then, add chopped green chillies and some salt to it and then cover it and cook it for about 2-3 minutes.
6. After that add remaining red chilli powder, coriander powder, biryani masala, cumin powder and garam masala. Mix well.
7. Add half of the mint and coriander leaves and beaten curd to it then cover the pan with lid and cook it a minute.
8. Now, add the cooked mutton and its juice to it. Mix it well then add 4 cups of water to it and bring this to boil.
9. Drain the soaking rice and once the water is boiling add rice then mix it again and check for salt and spices.
10. Now, Sprinkle the remaining mint and coriander leaves and mix well.
11. Cover the pan with the lid and cook over MEDIUM heat for 4-5 minutes.
12. After 4-5 minutes lower the flame and place dossa skillet and keep the biryani pan over it.
13. Cook it again for about 7-8 minutes and then switch off the flame and let it cool for 10 minutes.
14. Then open the pan and lastly add lemon juice to in and mix well and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 3 Hours
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes