• Section 1:
• 1/4 cup Margarine or Oil
• A few Curry leaves
• 1/2 cup tightly packed Brown sugar
• 1/4 tsp Red Chilli powder
• 1/8 tsp Ginger paste
• Pinch of Hing
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• Section 2:
• 3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
• 1 cup Rice crispies
• 1/4 cup roasted skinless Peanuts (optional)
• 1/4 cup sweetened desiccated Coconut (thick strips)
• 1/4 cup finely chopped hard Dates or whole Raisins or chopped Apricots
• 1/8 cup hulled Sunflower seeds
- Bake the rolled oats in oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When cool, mix the oats, and other ingredients in section 2 in a large mixing bowl.
- Separately in the oil, on low heat, fry the curry leaves, ginger, chilli powder and hing.
- Then add brown sugar and salt and stir over heat till it melts and tiny bubbles start to appear. Turn off heat.
- Very carefully pour the hot mixture in a thin stream over the dry ingredients in the bowl, while simultaneously stirring.
- If the mixture is too wet and you want a drier chewra, quickly add more rice crispies and stir.
- Place the mixture on a greased baking tray and put into the warm oven for 10 minutes to make it crisp.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before putting away in air tight container.
Recipe courtesy of Cathy