• 6 – Chicken pieces
• Juice of 1 Lemon
• 1 tsp – salt
• Lemon or Lime wedges and Lettuce leaves, to garnish
• For the marinade:
• 1 tsp – Coriander leaves
• 2 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 6 – Cloves
• 1 – onion, quartered
• 2 – Bay Leaves
• 2 – Garlic Cloves
• 2-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
• 1/2 tsp – chilli powder
• 1 tsp – Turmeric
• 2/3 cup – plain low-fat natural yogurt
- Skin the chicken joints and make deep slashes in the fleshiest parts with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle over the lemon juice and salt, and rub in.
- Roast the coriander, cumin seeds, cloves, and bay leaves in a frying pan until the bay leaves are crispy.
- Cool the spices and grind coarsely.
- Finely mince the onion, garlic, and ginger in a blender. Add the ground spices, chilli, turmeric, and yogurt.
- Strain the lemon juice from the chicken pieces.
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer in a shallow dish. Pour over the marinade, then cover and chill for about 24 to 36 hours, turning over the chicken occasionally.
- Cook the chicken pieces on low barbecue for about 30 to 45 minutes, turning the pieces and brushing with the marinade occasionally.
- Garnish with fresh lettuce and lemon wedges and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi