Lentil delicacy tossed with onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and cream
1 cups sabut urad dal (black lentils)
1/4 cup rajma (kidney beans)
1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
1 onion paste
1/2 cup tomato puree
Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon red chilli powder (as per taste)
1/2 inch or 1 small piece cinnamon (dalchini)
1-2 whole green cardamom
5-6 cups water
1/2 cup cream
1 string butter
2 tablespoon refined oil
Salt to taste
1. Rinse urad dal, rajma thoroughly until water is clear. Soak for 4-8 hours.
2. Cook dal, rajma and salt with water in a pressure cooker over medium heat until soft. Remove from heat. (Make sure dal and rajma are cooked, if not cover the pressure cooker and cook for few more minutes)
3. Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida, cinnamon, clove and cardamom. Fry for a minute.
4. Now add ginger–garlic pasteand fry for a minute now add onion paste and fry until golden brown.
5. Add tomato puree and fry until oil separates.
6. Add red chilli powder, garam masala and fry for a minute before pouring the mixture in pressure cooked dal.
7. Add some water if necessary and boil for 5-10 minute over medium heat.Steir occationally.
8. Add cream, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
9. Garnish with the string of butter before serving.
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes