• 1-2 – Drumsticks (tender and fleshy ones)
• 1 – Tomato (quartered)
• 1/4 cup – tur dal
• 1 tsp – Tamarind paste or a lemon-sized ball of Tamarind
• 1 tbsp – rasam powder
• salt to taste
• 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1/4 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1/4 tsp – Jeera seeds
• 1-2 – Red Chillies (dried)
• a pinch of Hing
• a few Curry leaves
• oil or Ghee for frying
• a few Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Pressure-cook the tur dal until it’s soft (3-4 whistles).
- Soak the tamarind ball in 4 cups of water and strain the juice.
- Pour the juice in a vessel, add tomato, turmeric powder, rasam powder and salt.
- Keep the mixture on the gas at medium flame.
- Boil the drumsticks separately until they are well-cooked.
- Remove the insides of the drumsticks and put them in the tamarind water mixture.
- Bring the whole mixture to a boil.
- Add the tur dal and boil on medium flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Season with mustard seeds, jeera, hing, red chillies, curry leaves and ghee (or oil).
- Garnish with coriander leaves and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe courtesy of Shweta