• 4 tbsp- oil
• 1/2 cup- Channa dal
• 1/2 cup- Urad Dal
• 1 big Garlic (whole)
• 1 cup- onion, chopped
• 1/2 cup- green chilies , chopped
• 1 cup- tomato, chopped
• salt to taste
• For Seasoning:
• 1 tbsp- oil
• 2 tsp- mustard
• 2 tsp- cumin
• 2 red chilies , broken
• few Curry leaves
- Heat oil in kadai. Add both the dals and coriander seeds. Fry till they begin to brown.
- Add garlic, fry till fragrant. Add onion and green chilies. Fry till onion is light brown.
- Add tomato and cook till it is reduced to a pulp.
- Cool all the fried ingredients and grind to a slightly coarse paste with salt.
- Heat the oil for seasoning in a small frying pan. Add mustard and cumin.
- When they splutter, add red chilies and curry leaves.
- Fry for few seconds and add to the chutney. Mix well.
Recipe courtesy of Chandra Bhat