Gujiya or karanji is a must have sweets for Diwali, Holi and other festivals. Gujiya is made from maida or flour and stuffed with mawa and other dry fruits. Then deep fried into oil and ghee and dipped into sugar syrup, gives rich taste to the sweets. Here is the step by step recipe to make gujiya.
– 500 gram refined flour
– 150 gram khoya (mawa)
– 25 gram almonds
– 25 gram Pistachios
– 25 gram raisins
– 25 gram cashew nuts
– 25 gram Charoli
– 1 tablespoon dry coconut
– 250 gram powdered sugar
– 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
– 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
How To Cook?
1. Rub 4 tablespoon ghee into the flour and then add enough water to form a stiff dough.
2. Roast khoya (mawa) in a dry pan to a golden color, remove and set aside.
3. Grate coconut finely and mix into the khoya along with the rest of the above Ingredients with the exception of dough.
4. Now divide the dough into 3 or 4 equal parts and roll out each part as a thinly as you can with the help of little dry flour.
5. Then stamp out small rounds from the rolled our dough.
6. Place khoya (mawa) mixture evenly over one round and cover with the other round.
7. Seal and pinch the edges together.
8. Deep fry each Gujiya over a SLOW fire to a golden brown color.
9. Drain, cool, cover with foil and store in airtight tin.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes