Kung Pao Chicken is a classic dish in Sichuan cuisine which is region of China. It is one of the tastiest chicken dishes having a nice spicy and tangy flavor. It is a stir-fry dish made with peanuts, chicken, vegetables and chili peppers. The chicken taste tender and smooth, while the vegetables like the chestnuts, bell peppers and zucchini are crisp and refreshing. This incredibly delicious Chinese food comes out very yummy. So give it a try today.
For The Marinade
– 1 large egg white
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
– 1 tablespoon canola oil
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– Salt to taste
– 1 1/2 pounds chicken thigh meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
For The Sauce
– 1/2 cup chicken broth
– 1/4 cup soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
– 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
– 1 tablespoon brown sugar
– 1 tablespoon cornstarch
– 1 tablespoon chili oil
For The Stir-Fry
– 3 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
– 8-10 dried Chinese chili peppers
– 1/2 cup peanuts
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 thumb-sized ginger, peeled andamp; minced
– 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into half andamp; sliced
– 1 can sliced water chestnut, drained
– 1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded andamp; diced
– 1/2 small green bell pepper, seeded andamp; diced
– Some spring onion greens, for garnishing
How To Cook?
1. In a bowl, combine together the egg white, soy sauce, rice wine, oil, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk them well to blend together well.
2. Add chicken cubes to this prepared marinating and stir well. Make sure that all cubes of chicken are coated fully. Keep in refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Drain chicken using colander.
3. In another bowl, combine together the chicken broth, soy sauce, rice wine, rice vinegar, brown sugar and cornstarch. Whisk them till well-blended. Set aside.
4. In a wok, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over HIGH heat until smoking and rotate to coat bottom.
5. Add garlic and ginger and saut? it for 30 seconds or until fragrant then add peanuts and stir-fry them for about 30 seconds or until lightly brown, tossing regularly.
6. Then add zucchini and chestnut and again stir-fry them for about 2 minutes or until tender yet crisp.
7. After that add diced bell peppers and saute them for another minute. Transfer them in a plate and keep warm.
8. Wipe down wok and add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and heat till almost smocking over HIGH heat and rotate to coat bottom.
9. Add chili peppers and saute it for about 10-20 seconds or until peppers begin to blacken and oil slightly fragrant. Stir regularly.
10. Add marinated chicken and cook it for about 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer it to plate and keep warm.
11. Whisk the combined sauce Ingredients again to disperse cornstarch which may have settled in the bottom. Add this mixture to the wok and bring it boil.
12. Add chicken and stir-fried vegetable mixture and continue to cook for about 1-2 minutes or until heated through and sauce is thickened. Stir regularly.
13. Garnish it with spring onion greens and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes