• 1 cup (100 g) – yellow split gram (moong dal)
• 4 cups water
• 1/4 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1/4 tsp – asafetida
• 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 1-inch piece Ginger
• 1 tsp – Ghee
• Salt to taste
- Wash and clean dal. Soak in pressure cooker with 4 cups water, chopped ginger and turmeric powder. Pressure cook for 20 minutes (reduce the heat to medium after 3 whistles and cook for 15 minutes).
- When cool, remove and drain out water from top in another bowl and use it for kadhi or osaman.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add asafoetida and cumin seeds. Saute for 2-3 minutes until they become fragrant and light brown in colour. Pour this over cooked split gram.
- Churn the cooked dal to smooth consistency. Return to heat, add salt and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When it is thick, switch off the gas and serve with rice.
- Recipe Courtesy: Niya’s World
Recipe courtesy of Niya