Vegetable Rice is a combination of various season vegetables and rice. This is very simple and easy to make recipe in lesser time. You can enjoy spicy vegetable rice whenever you don’t have much time to cook the whole meal for dinner or lunch. Vegetable rice is a complete meal in itself when served with a curd salad and chips or fried appalams. You can substitute green peas and sweet corn with a combination of sprouts. It will be nutritious and equally delicious.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Servings: 4-6 Person
– 1 cup basmati rice
– 2 tablespoons white butter
– 2 medium-sized carrots, finely chopped
– 1 medium-sized potato, finely chopped
– ? cup shelled green peas
– 2-3 tablespoon American sweet corn kernels
– Salt to taste
– 1 ? tablespoon lime juice
To make Spice Powder
– 2 tablespoon oil
– 2 tablespoon husked black gram (urad dal)
– 2 tablespoon husked Bengal gram (chana dal)
– 2 dried red chilies
– 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
– ? tablespoon asafetida powder (hing)
– 2-3 cloves ? inch stick cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon grated dry coconut
– 2 tablespoon ghee
– 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
– 1 tablespoon husked black gram
– ? tablespoon cumin seeds
– 1 dried red chili, halved
– 1 spring curry leaves
– 2 tablespoon ghee
– 2 tablespoon cashew nuts
– 2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
How To Cook?
1. Wash rice and drain it. Place 2 cups water in a heavy-based pan over high heat and bring to boil.
2. Add rice and butter to it and bring to boil again.
3. Now, LOWER heat to moderate and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, till water is almost absorbed.
4. Then LOWER heat, place pan on a tawa or griddle, cover it with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 7 to 8 minutes till the water is absorbed and rice is tender and fluffy.
5. Then, Spread the rice on a platter to cool.
6. Now, heat ghee for garnish in a pan over moderate heat and fry cashew nuts till it becomes golden in color. Remove it from pan and set aside.
7. Now, Heat oil for spice powder in the same pan. Add remaining Ingredients for spice powder and fry over low heat. Toss gently, till dals turn golden in color and chilies and spices are fragrant. Cool and grind to a fine powder.
8. Now, Heat ghee for tempering in a frying pan over moderate heat. Add remaining Ingredients for tempering in the order given. When mustard seeds splutter, add vegetables and saut? for 1 to 2 minutes.
9. Pour in ? -3/4 cups water, cover the pan and simmer over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, till vegetables are tender.
10. Add salt, spice powder and cooked rice. Stir gently till well blended.
11. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with lime juice and toss gently to mix.
12. Garnish with fried cashew nuts and coriander leaves and serve immediately or at room temperature.