• 1 chicken, cut into serving-sized pieces
• Juice of 1 Lemon (optional)
• 1 cup – red Palm oil (or a mixture of Palm oil or any other cooking oil)
• 2-3.5 – onions, chopped
• 2 – Cloves of garlic, minced
• 1 – hot chilli pepper
• 3.5 – Tomatoes (peeled, if desired) and cut into quarters (optional)
• 1 squash (acorn, butternut) or sweet pumpkin; seeded, peeled, and cut into bite-sized pieces — or — one eggplant, peeled, cut into pieces, soaked in salted water, rinsed, and drained
• 1 cup – canned palm soup base | 1-2.5 dozen small, tender okra; washed, ends removed
• Salt, to taste
- Squeeze lemon juice over the chicken. The chicken can also be rubbed with a mixture of lemon juice, minced garlic, chopped chilli pepper, and salt.
- Let it marinate for fifteen minutes to an hour.
- Over high heat, bring the oil to cooking temperature in a deep skillet or a Dutch oven.
- Add the chicken and cook it on all sides until it is slightly browned, but not done.
- Add the onion, garlic, chilli pepper and tomato.
- Stirring occasionally, cook over medium heat for about half an hour, until the chicken is nearly done.
- Add the squash or eggplant and cook for an additional 10-15 mins.
- Then stir in the canned palm soup base (if desired) and add the okra.
- Gently simmer for a few minutes until the okra is tender.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with Rice.
Recipe courtesy of Congo Cookbook