Vegetable stew made with tomatoes and herbs
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cubed
1 capsicum or green pepper, cubed
2 small brinjal (baigan), cubed
1-2 fresh zucchini (tori), cubed
1/2 cup cubed yellow summer squash or pumpkin (optional)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
6 tomatoes, chopped
3 tbsp parsley, chopped (optional)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in large heavy pan, add bay leaf, garlic, onion and saute for 5 minutes.
2. Now add red bell pepper and capsicum and saute for another 4-5 minutes.
3. Add brinjal and saute for 4-5 minutes.
4. Now add zucchini and yellow squash or pumpkin and saute for 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes to the pan, gently stir, and saute for 5 more minutes.
6. Now add parsley, oregano and season with salt and pepper.
7. Reduce the heat to low and cover and cook for 45 minutes.
8. After 45 minutes, add chopped fresh basil and cook for 5-10 minutes.
9. Remove and serve hot.
Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes