Idlis made with Semolina or Rava, preparation originates in the south Indian region of Kerala
1 1/2 cup medium thick suji or rava (semolina)
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
2 tablespoon chopped curry leaves
2-3 finely chopped green chilies (optional)
1 teaspoon chana dal (bengal gram)
1 teaspoon urad dal (split black gram)
1/4 teaspoon soda-bi-carbonate
2 tablespoon roasted cashewnuts (optional)
1 cup dahi (yogurt)
1-2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a kadhai or pan, add mustard seeds, curry leaves and allow it to crackle.
2. Add green chilies, chana dal, urad dal and fry for 1-2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and immediately add suji. Mix well.
4. Add salt, soda-bi-carbonate, 1 tablespoon crushed cashewnuts, yogurt and mix well.
5. Leave it for around 30 minutes.
6. Grease idli moulds and from the remaining cashews, keep half cashew in each mould (so that when the idlis are removed, cashews can be seen on top).
7. Pour batter into the moulds filling 3/4th of the moulds.
8. Heat water in the idli cooker.
9. Steam cook for about 12-15 minutes on high or until done. Check with knife whether the idlis are done.
10. Let it cool for some time then scoop out the idlis from the moulds.
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes