Popular preparation of rice and vegetables in tamarind juice, originates in the Karnataka region of India
1 1/2 cups rice
1/2 cup tuwar dal (split gram)
1 fresh carrot, chopped
2 fresh drumsticks, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup french beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
Pinch of turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
1-2 whole red chilies (optional)
1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
1 teaspoon crushed jaggery (optional)
2 teaspoon oil or ghee (clarified butter)
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon coriander seeds
4-5 dry whole red chilies
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
2 inch cinnamon piece
1 tablespoon urad dal (split black gram)
1 tablespoon chana dal (bengal gram)
7-8 whole black pepper
1 cup grated coconut
1. Dry roast all the masala ingredients except coconut. Keep aside to cool.
2. Grind all the roasted ingredients along with coconut to a thick paste.
3. Pressure cook dal and rice together with little turmeric and salt until done.
4. Heat oil in a kadhai, add mustard seeds, red chilies, curry leaves and allow it to crackle.
5. Add onions and fry until transparent.
6. Add all the vegetables, salt and cover to cook until tender.
7. Now add tamarind pulp, jaggery and mix thoroughly.
8. Add the prepared masala and fry for a minute or two.
9. Add cooked rice and dal. Mix well.
10. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and add some ghee just before serving.
Cooking time: 40mins