Naan is very popular oven-baked flat bread. It is a cuisine of west, central and south Asia. Plain naan is delicious but the stuffed naan with saag and paneer is extremely delicious and very tasty. This naan recipe is a luscious twist to naan stuffed with spicy and delicious saag paneer. It can be served plain or you can have it with curd or gravy based vegetable dish. Here is the recipe for yummy saag naan enjoy!
For The Naan
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– Salt to taste
– 4 teaspoons oil
– 1/2 cup warm water
– 1 teaspoon rapid rise yeast
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1 medium egg, beaten
– 2 tablespoons yogurt
– 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (optional)
– 2 tablespoons kalongi /nigella seeds (optional)
– 3 tablespoons butter
– Additional all purpose flour for rolling andamp; dusting
For The Saag Paneer
– 1 bunch roughly chopped spinach, rinsed
– 100 gm cottage cheese, chopped in small cubes
– 2 tablespoons oil
– 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
– 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
– 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
– 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
– 1 teaspoon garam masala
– 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
– 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
– 1 teaspoon coriander powder
– Salt to taste
– 3 tablespoons yogurt
How To Cook?
To Make Naan Dough
1. In a bowl, add yeast and sugar to warm water and mix well. Cover and set aside for about 5-7 minutes or until foamy.
2. In a large bowl, combine together the flour, oil and salt. Mix them until there are no lumps.
3. When yeast mixture becomes foamy, add yogurt and beaten egg. Whisk until mixed well.
4. Add this mixture to flour a little at a time and knead into soft and smooth dough ball.
5. Drizzle a few drops of oil over the dough and cover the dough with the oil.
6. Cover the ball and set aside in a warm place for an hour.
To Make The Saag Paneer
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Once oil heated, add cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Then add chopped onion and saut? for about 3-4 minutes or till tender.
3. Then add chopped tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste then saut? them till the tomatoes becomes tender and raw aroma of ginger-garlic paste goes away.
4. Add roughly chopped spinach, stir well and cook it till the spinach becomes soft and blanched. This will take couple of minutes.
5. Then after add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix well.
6. Now, add yogurt and stir well. Also add cottage cheese cubes and mix well. Cook it for a minute and remove from the heat. Allow it to cool.
To Make Stuffed Saag Naan
1. Preheat the oven at 288 C (550 F).
2. Once dough has risen, lightly oil hands and punch down the dough and knead. Dust with additional flour if needed.
3. Divide the dough into 5 equal-sized small balls.
4. On a flat surface, dust some flour and roll each ball into a round naan on that surface.
5. Also divide the paneer saag into 5 equal portions. Spoon 1 portion on the bottom half of the naan, in semi-circle shape, leaving about half inch from the edges.
6. Now, fold the top half of the naan over the stuffing and press gently down the edge so we have a stuffed naan.
7. Similarly, prepare other parts of naan.
8. Grease the baking tray lightly with the oil and place 2-3 naans at a time on the tray. Top these naans with some chopped garlic and kalonji. Gently press these down on each naan.
9. Place this baking tray in oven and bake these naan for about 7-8 minutes, or until the naans rise with a beautiful golden hue.
10. Remove those naans from the tray, grease them with butter and enjoy hot.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 Persons