Sweet and tangy Sesame and Cashew chutney or sauce
1 1/4 cup (250 gm) sesame seeds
1/2 cup (100 gm) ground nut
1/2 cup (100 gm) cashew nut
1/4 cup (50 gm) dry coconut slices
1/4 cup (50 gm) green chilies
1/2 cup (100 gm) tamarind pulp
1/4 cup (50 gm) jaggery
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
3 red chilies
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Few curry leaves
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon oil
1. Roast sesame seeds, ground nut and grind to form a paste with 2 cups of water.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida, red chilies, curry leaves and allow it to crackle.
3. Now add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, salt.
4. Add the sesame paste and stir well for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add tamarind pulp, mix well and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Using remaining oil fry cashewnut and coconut slices separately.
7. Mix them before serving in the prepared sauce.