• 2 onions, thinly sliced into rings
• 4 slices whole Wheat or herb bread
• 1 cup – grated processed cheese
• 1 flake Garlic
• 1 tbsp – Butter
• 1 stalk Spring onion greens, finely chopped
• 4 cups – vegetable stock or water
• salt and pepper to taste
- Apply butter in bread slices lightly, with half butter.
- Dry them in warm oven for 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining butter in large pan.
- Add onions. Stir fry till golden and transparent, but not brown.
- Add crushed garlic flake, stock, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or till onions are very soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ten minutes prior to serving, place 4 slices of bread in 4 individual oven or microproof soup bowls.
- Sprinkle half cheese over slices.
- Place in hot oven for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour boiled stock in all four bowls.
- The slices will rise to the top.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese, chopped spring onions. Place under a hot grill in oven till cheese melts completely.
- Serve hot, with garlic buns or soup sticks.
Recipe courtesy of Sify Bawarchi