Healthy and spicy rice preparation made with proteinaceous soybean and vegetables
2 cups rice
1 cup soya chunks (soaked in hot water)
1/4 cup mixed vegetables (peas, carrot, beans, corn, potato)
1 onion sliced
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon sliced ginger
1/2 teaspoon whole black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1-2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1-2 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice thoroughly with water and soak for 10-15 minutes. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add cumin seeds, bay leaves, black pepper and allow it to crackle.
3. Add onion and saute until golden brown.
4. Now add chopped tomatoes saute until oil separates.
5. Add ginger, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala.
6. Add vegetables, soya chunk and fry for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add drained rice and stir for 2-3 minutes. Now add salt.
8. Add 4 cups of water or approximately double the amount of rice in the pressure cooker and bring to boil. Cover the pressure cooker.
9. Bring to high pressure and cook for 8-10 minutes over high heat (1 whistle approximately).
10. Turn off the heat and allow the pressure to come down naturally for 20 minutes.
11. Remove the lid tilting away to allow any excess steam to escape.
12. Stir gently and fluff up the rice before serving.
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes