• 2 – Bitter gourd
• 1.5 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1/2 tsp – Fenugreek seeds (methi)
• 1 – big piece Jaggery
• 1 – small piece Turmeric or Haldi powder
• 3 – Red Chillies
• 1 – small piece Hing
• 1/2 cup – Coconut grating
• 1 – Tamarind (size of marble)
- Chop karelas finely. Apply salt and keep aside.
- In a pan, roast 1 tsp mustard, methi, red chillies and turmeric in a little oil.
- Add coconut gratings and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Grind the roasted ingredients along with tamarind, jaggery and salt in to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Squeeze the karelas of all the bitter juice, and drop them in oil. Fry karelas till brown and crisp.
- Add desired quantity of water to the ground masala.
- Mix karela bits into it.
- Season with mustard and curry leaves. Serve it with curd rice.
Recipe courtesy of Jyoti Pai