• 5 kg – Carrots (gajar)
• 500 g – Vinegar
• 100 g – Red Chilli powder
• 500 g – Jaggery
• 500 g – Mustard oil
• 250 g – salt
• 100 g – Turmeric (haldi)
• 150 g – Mustard Seeds (rai)
• Water to boil Carrots
- Wash and cut the carrot into long pieces.
- Add carrot to water and bring it to a boil.
- Take out carrot pieces from the water.
- Dry them in the sun for 2 hours.
- Mix the salt, chilli powder, turmeric and mustard seeds together and grind them.
- Blend mustard oil with the ground mixture.
- Blend jaggery with vinegar.
- Heat the jaggery-vinegar mix till the jaggery is completely dissolved.
- Mix the carrot pieces to the ground masala.
- Put this mixture in a jar and pour jaggery liquid on to it.
- Shake well and place under the sun.
- After 6-7 days the pickle will be ready.
- Serve with rice dishes or rotis.
Recipe courtesy of Manpreet Mehta