Spicy cauliflower prepared in Indo Thai style
2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
Oil for frying
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoon curd
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion
2 tablespoon fresh coconut, grated
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/2 inch ginger
2 teaspoon poppy seeds (khus-khus), soaked in water (optional)
4 whole red chilies
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Grind to a smooth paste onion, garlic, coconut, coriander seeds, ginger, poppy seeds, red chilies.
2. Heat oil in a kadhai or heavy sauce pan, fry cauliflower florets until light golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in another kadhai or pan, add bay leaf, the ground paste and fry until oil separated.
4. Now add tomato puree and again fry until oil separates.
5. Add turmeric powder, curd, salt and mix well.
6. Now add cauliflower and cook for 3-5 minutes so that it blends into the gravy.
7. Add enough water if needed to cover all the cauliflowers in the gravy.
8. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes