11/2 cup chana dal (bengal gram)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 green cardamom
1 black cardamom
1 stick cinnamon
2-3 whole red chilies
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomato finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon kasoori methi powder
2 tablespoon chopped coriander
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash dal, soak for 15 minutes and then drain.
2. Add water, salt, haldi powder and cook in a pressure cooker until soft.
3. Heat oil in a wok or kadhai, fry cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and red chilli until they begin to crackle.
4. Now add onion and fry until golden brown.
5. Add tomatoes and fry until oil separates.
6. Now add red chilli powder, kasoori methi powder, garam masala and fry for a minute.
7. Add the pressure cooked dals, water (if necessary), lemon juice and boil for 8-10 minutes.
8. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes