A spicy rice delicacy with boiled eggs in onion, tomato and curd gravy
2 1/2 cups basmati rice or long grained rice
6 hard boiled eggs
2 chopped onions
2 chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 inch ginger
3-4 garlic cloves
3-4 green chilies
3 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves (optional)
2 table spoon curd
2 tablespoon ghee
4 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoons red chilli powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoon cardamom powder
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice thoroughly with water and soak for half an hour. Drain and keep aside.
2. Remove outer shell of hard boiled eggs and keep aside.
3. Boil water.
4. Grind together garlic, ginger, green chilies and half of the coriander leaves. Keep aside.
5. Heat ghee in a deep sauce pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves and allow to crackle.
6. Add onion and saute until golden brown. Now add green paste and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
7. Then add tomatoes, remaining coriander leaves, mint leaves, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cook for a while.
8. Add curd in to this. Add garam masala, enough salt and mix well.
9. Make cuts on boiled eggs, put them into the masala and cook for few seconds.
10. Pour the previously boiled water in to this, add rice and bring to boil.
11. Reduce flame, place lid and cook. Keep lid closed until rice is tender and cooked well.
12. Mix all the contents before serving.
13. Garnish with chopped coriander and tomato slices.
Cooking time: 45 minutes