Fresh carrots combined with various blend of spices to make a rich and spicy pickle
2 1/2 cups (500 gm) gajar (carrot), sliced
3 tablespoon peeli sarson (yellow mustard seeds)
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida) (optional)
2 cups oil
2 1/2 tablespoon salt
1. Wash carrots and wipe dry.
2. Heat oil and turn off the gas.
3. When oil is warm, add asafoetida (if using), yellow mustard seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, fennel seeds and salt.
4. Keep aside to cool.
5. Add completely dry carrots into the mixed spices and mix well.
6. Carrots should be completely immersed in oil mixture, leaving 2 cm of oil border on top. If not then heat appropriate amount of oil, cool it and mix with the achar.
7. Store the Achar in a porcelain jar and keep it in a dry place.
8. Achar will be ready to eat in a week’s time.