A famous Indian sweet made of pistachios
2 cups (400 gm) pistachios (pista) (kernels removed)
1 1/4 cup (250 gm) sugar
Water (for sugar syrup) as required
2 chandi (silver) warak for decoration
1. Blanch the pistas in boiling water. Drain and remove the peels.
2. Make a coarse paste, without using any water.
3. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, boil water and sugar to make sugar syrup. Cook until syrup of two to three-string consistency is prepared.
4. Add the paste in the sugar syrup once done and cook over a medium heat and keep stirring until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and a soft lump is formed.
5. Spread on a clean greased work surface.
6. Roll lightly with a rolling pin, to a desired thickness.
7. Apply the silver warak on top for decoration. Cool and cut into square shaped barfis.
Cooking time: 40 minutes