1 cup yellow tuwar dal (split gram)
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
1/4 teaspoon kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
2 green chilies, chopped
1/4 teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Chopped coriander for garnishing
2 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
Salt to taste
1. Wash tuwar dal, soak for 15 minutes.
2. Add water, salt, haldi powder and cook in a pressure cooker until soft.
3. Heat ghee in a wok or kadhai, add asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and allow it to crackle.
4. Add green chilies and kasoori methi. Remove from heat.
5. Now add red chilli powder and immediately add pressure cooked dal.
6. Add water (if necessary), lemon juice and boil for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes