Indian pickle made with gooseberry or amla, stuffed with various blends of spices pickled in oil
2 1/2 cups (500 gm) amla (Indian gooseberry)
3 tablespoon peeli sarson (yellow mustard seeds)
1/2 tablespoon methi dana (fenugreek seeds)
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
2 cups oil
2 1/2 tablespoon salt
1. Wash amla and wipe dry.
2. Slit each amla lengthwise into four, keeping the stem end intact. Discard all the seeds.
3. Blanch amla until tender.
4. Remove and dry them completely.
5. Dry roast fennel and cumin seeds together and crush coarsely.
6. Add asafoetida, fenugreek seeds, yellow mustard seeds, black pepper, clove, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, fennel and cumin powder and salt.
7. Stuff the amlas with this mixture and seal them, reserving some mixture.
8. Heat oil and turn off the gas.
9. Keep aside to cool.
10. Pour oil over stuffed amlas and mix the rest of the mixture in oil.
11. Amla should be completely immersed in oil mixture, leaving 2 cm of oil border on top. If not then heat appropriate amount of oil, cool it and mix with the amla achar.
12. Store the Achar in a porcelain jar and keep it in a dry place.
13. Achar will be ready to eat in a week’s time.