• Basic batter for Cabbage – Onion sanna appo:
• 2 cups – raw Rice (pachari / soorai orovu) or a mix of 1 cup raw Rice and 1 cup boiled Rice (ukda chawal)
• 1.5 cup – grated Coconut
• 1/2 cup – Tamarind juice or 1 tbsp – Tamarind paste
• 2 tsp – Red Chilli powder (or 2 to 2.50 tsp – for more spicy)
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1/2 tsp – Asafoetida / Hing
• 1.25 – 1.5 tsp – salt ( or to taste )
• 1- Onion finely chopped, big size
• 250 g – finely shredded Cabbage
• 2 tsp – cooking oil / Ghee
- Wash and soak raw rice for 5 – 6 hours (or overnight). Drain out water and grind with grated coconut, tamarind juice, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt in a mixer ( if you are adding tamarind juice while grinding, then no need to add extra water ).
- Grind until the batter is of fine consistency.
- Transfer this batter to another container / bowl and mix with asafoetida / hing and finely shredded cabbage and onion.
- Add extra water and salt if required and batter should be just like dosa batter and of pouring consistency. No need to ferment this batter.
- Final preparation:
- Heat a non-stick appe kayli /kuzhipaniyaram kadai on a medium heat. Smear each mould with little oil / ghee.
- Pour appo batter in each mould (3/4 of the mould). Sprinkle oil / ghee.
- Cover with a lid. Cook for 10 – 12 minutes on a medium heat.
- Cook till crisp and sides will turn golden brown (until the edges separate from the moulds of the kadai).
- Turn the other side with the help of a stick and cook till done / under side should be golden in colour. Serve hot with coconut chutney / pickle / coconut oil.
- Recipe Courtesy: Niya’s World
Recipe courtesy of Niya