• 1/4 kg – Channa dal, soaked for 2-3 hours
• 2 – Kerala ripe Bananas (cut in small pieces)
• 1/4 kg – jaggery, crushed
• 1 cup – Coconut (grated and crushed in mixer)
• 750 gm – Rice powder
• 1/4 tsp – Cardamom powder
• 1/4 tsp – dry ginger/suntha (powdered)
• 1/4 tsp – roasted cumin
• 1/4 cup – Ghee
- For filling-Pressure cook soaked chana dal and bananas with a little water for 3-4 whistles. Light the gas on low flame and place a pan on it.
- Add ghee and chana dal banana mixture to it and stir well till the mixture is thickened.
- Then add crushed jaggery, dry ginger powder, cardamom powder, cumin powder and stir the whole mixture well on a low flame till it gets thickened.
- In another pan slightly fry grated coconut for 2 minutes and then add to the main mixture and stir well. Please take a note that the mixture should be thick enough to make a filling. For modak-
- Make a slightly loose batter of rice powder and water (see to it that no lumps are formed).
- Place a pan on low flame and add the batter.
- Stir well, till batter turns into a thick paste.
- Grease your hand, spread the rice paste on your palm put the filling and shape it into modak.
- Steam the modaks and you are ready to relish the exotic taste of modaks.
Recipe courtesy of sheena