Indo-Mexican preparation of fried, stuffed chilli rellenos with cottage cheese
15 poblano green chilies (broad and short chilies)
1 cup grated paneer (cottage cheese)
1 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated cheese (preferably Monterey Jack cheese)
Oil for frying
1 cup maida (plain flour)
1 cup water
Pinch of salt
4 large tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
4 dry whole red chilies (soaked in water)
1 inch cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon oil
1. Blend together tomatoes, onion and garlic.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add clove, cinnamon, bay leaf and fry for a minute. Add the tomato paste, sugar, salt and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
3. Remove the clove, cinnamon and bay leaf and keep the prepared tomato sauce aside.
4. Mix together paneer, cheese, onion, salt and pepper and keep aside.
5. Prepare a batter of maida, water and salt.
6. Roast chilies on an open flame on the stove top. When skin becomes charred, put them in a plastic bag for about 15 minutes.
7. Take them out and peel them. Cut off the top and deseed them.
8. Stuff the chilies with the paneer mixture tightly.
9. Dip the stuffed chilies in the batter and deep fry until golden brown.
10. Remove on absorbent paper and place them in a serving dish.
11. Pour the prepared sauce over the chilies and serve hot.
Cooking time: 40 minutes