• 4 cups – Urad Dal
• 1 cup – ordinary Rice
• 1 tsp – Ginger grated
• 1 tbsp – coconut, grated coarsely
• 8-10 whole pepper Corns
• 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
• salt to taste
• oil to deep fry
- Wash and soak dal and rice together in plenty of water overnight.
- Drain, grind to a soft batter, a fine grain should be felt in it.
- Do not make the batter thin. It should be thick enough to shape vadas.
- Add all ingredients and beat well with hand to incorporate air.
- Heat oil, wet palm and take an idli sized lump on fingers palm side up.
- Make a hole in the middle with thumb.
- Slip gently into hot oil, repeat for more.
- Or use a medhu vada press.
- Fry 5-6 at a time on medium flame.
- Drain, serve hot with chutney and sambar, or accompany with idli.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering