• 1 cup tur dal or masur dal
• 2 big tomatoes, chopped
• 1/4 kg of any vegetable such as beans, brinjal, Drumstick etc, cut into medium size bits
• 2 small onions, chopped
• 2 tsp chilli powder
• 1 tsp coriander powder
• 1/4 cup Tamarind juice
• few Curry leaves
• 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
• 2 Red Chillies
• 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
• salt to taste
• 1 tbsp oil
• few Coriander leaves chopped for garnishing
- Pressure-cook the dal with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, tomato, and about 3 cups of water.
- When the dal gets cooked, open the pressure cooker, mash well and add the cut vegetables salt and onion and cook till the vegetables are done.
- Add the tamarind juice and chilli powder and simmer for a few more minutes then remove from heat.
- Add some more water if required.
- In another vessel, heat the oil and when hot add the mustard seeds, broken red chillies and curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters add the cooked dal and vegetable. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice or idlis.
- Recipe Courtesy: Anglo-Indian Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Bridget White