• cool whip – 1 tub (8 oz size)
• condensed Milk – 1 can (6 oz usually)
• Mango pulp – 1/2 can or 250 ml.
• small amount of powdered Cardamom (elaichi)
• Pistachio or Almond slivers for decoration
• a small bit of asafetida
• salt to taste
- Thaw out the Cool Whip in the fridge for 4-6 hours. Transfer it into a large glass/ plastic bowl and beat it with a whisk to soften. Beat in the condensed milk followed by the mango pulp, and finally the cardamom powder.
- If you want to give the ice-cream a “rippled” effect, mix the cardamom powder with the mango pulp first.
- And then gently fold it into the cool whip/ condensed milk mixture so that you get white and gold streaks.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours. Ice crystals are usually not a problem with these proportions of ingredients,
- But they might form if the glass dish is too big and lid does not fit tightly.
- If that happens, take it out of the freezer after 1-2 hours, beat the mixture again, and re-freeze.
- When it is time to serve, either let the ice-cream sit out for 5 mins before serving, or use a scoop/ ladle dipped in hot water.
- Decorate with almonds/ pistachios in individual serving bowls.
Recipe courtesy of Shalini Murthy