• 1 cup – cleaned Tamarind
• 1/2 cup – Dates deseeded
• 1/4 cup – Sugar
• 2 cups – water
• 1/2 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 1/2 crushed Cumin seeds
• 1 tsp – salt
• 3/4 cup – Jaggery
- Wash the tamarind clean.
- Place the tamarind, jaggery, sugar, dates and water in a deep boiling pan.
- Soak for a few minutes. Put to boil for about 7-8 mins.
- Cool to room temperature. Blend in a mixie till smooth.
- Strain and transfer to the pan again. Boil till thick enough to coat the back of a spoon thinly.
- Add the seasoning. Cool again. Store in clean airtight bottles and refrigerate.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering