• 500 g – whole Wheat flour
• 400 g – jaggery, grated
• 1 cup – hot water
• 1/2 cup – coconut, grated
• 1/2 cup – finely chopped Dates
• 1/2 tsp – Cardamom powder
• Ghee or oil for deep frying
- Add jaggery to water, heat and dissolve. Take off fire and allow to cool.
- Take flour in a large bowl. Sprinkle coconut, cardamom, dates.
- Add jaggery water and knead into a stiff dough. Divide dough into 5 portions.
- Shape each into a long inch-wide cylinder.
- Smoothen by rolling it on a work surface.
- Cut each cylinder into 1-inch thick slices.
- Now, shape each slice into slightly flattened oblong pieces.
- Heat ghee and allow it to get smoky. Slip in a few thekua at a time.
- Deep fry over low heat, till light golden and crisp.
- Drain and allow to cool on a mesh before storing in airtight containers.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering