• 3 cups – basmati or any fine, raw Rice
• 1 – large fresh coconut, grated
• 3 tbsp – Ghee
• 1 – large onion, finely sliced
• 1/2 tsp -whole peppercorns
• 2 tbsp – Turmeric
• 1 tbsp – salt
- Grate the coconut, soak in 3 cups of boiled water and when luke warm, pass through a blender and strain the juice.
- Soak the rice for half an hour.
- Heat ghee and fry the onion till brown.
- Drain and set aside
- In the same ghee, add the peppercorns, rice and turmeric, fry for 5 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and enough water so that it stands 1 inch above the rice
- Add salt
- Bring this to a boil, reduce the heat and cook till the rice is almost cooked
- Garnish with the fried onions
Recipe courtesy of Lindy