• 1/2 kg – gavar
• 1 .5 tsp – goda masala
• 1 tsp – Coriander seed powder
• 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1/2 tsp – Cumin seed powder
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• 1 tbsp – oil
• a pinch asafetida
• an inch wide piece Jaggery
• salt to taste
- Wash and dry the gavar.
- String each bean and break it into 2 or 3 even sized pieces taking off remaining strings at each break.
- Heat oil in a wok and season with mustard seed, asafetida and turmeric.
- Then add the chopped gavar and saute.
- Sprinkle the goda masala, coriander and cumin seed powders over the vegetable and mix.
- Also add the jaggery now.
- Cook covered for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use a steel plate as a lid for the skillet. On it pour a little drinking water.
- As this heats, it help to cook the gavar.
- Finally, add the water on the lid to the bhaji if it requires more moisture.
- Stir in the salt. Serve with polis, rice and varan.
Recipe courtesy of Anita Raheja