• 1 cup – Toor Dal (cooked and mashed to form a paste)
• 1/2 cup – Coconut Milk
• 2 cups – water
• 1 tbsp – Jaggery
• 2 tbsp – tamarind, soaked in water
• Garam Masala to taste
• 1 tsp – cumin
• Curry leaves
• Clarified butter/ Ghee
- Heat the dal in a pan, add the coconut milk, water and bring to a boil. Add the jaggery, tamarind water, garam masala and salt as per your taste.
- In a separate pan, heat the ghee, and add cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida. Saute till cumin splutters.
- Pour this mixture into the boiling dal and cover.
- Once done, serve with a garnish of chopped coriander. It tastes great with rice.
Recipe courtesy of Aarti