• Chicken – 600 g, cut into bite sized pieces
• Medium Onion – 2, chopped fine
• Green chillies – 10 (4 slit vertically)
• Red Chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
• Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
• Dhania powder – 1 tsp
• Garlic flakes – 1 tsp
• Haldi – 1/4 tsp
• Tender Gongura leaves, picked and cleaned – 150 g
• Chopped Coriander leaves – 1/2 tbsp
• Oil – 2.5 tbsp
- Cook gongura (sorrel leaves) along with 6 green chillies, 1/4 tsp of salt and minimum quantity of water for about 5 minutes.
- Grind the cooked leaves to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a vessel and fry onion pieces along with vertically slit green chillies till the onion pieces turn golden brown.
- Add cumin powder, dhania powder, garlic flakes and haldi and fry for a minute.
- Add chicken pieces, red chilli powder and required amount of salt. Mix well and cover the vessel.
- Let it simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or till the chicken pieces become soft. If necessary, sprinkle some water.
- Add gongura paste, mix well and let it simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or till the oil separates.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves. Check salt.
- Serve this curry with plain rice/ puri/ chapatti/ fried rice.
Recipe courtesy of Dr.Umadevi