• 2 to 3 big trouts (trout – kashmiri fish)
• 2 cups – curds (beaten)
• 3 tbsp – Mustard oil
• 2 tbsp – Fennel seeds powder
• 1/2 tsp – asafetida powder
• 1 tsp – Ginger powder
• 2 tsp – Red Chilli powder
• 1/2 tsp – Turmeric powder
• salt to taste
- Remove the head and the tail of the fish. Clean and wash thoroughly.
- Make 2 inch pieces of each fish.
- Take a heavy bottomed kadai, heat the mustard oil to a smoking point to eliminate the smell.
- Add asafoetida powder, fennel seeds powder, ginger powder, red chilli powder, salt to taste and turmeric powder.
- Saute this masala for a minute.
- Add the beaten curd, gradually stirring continuously so that it does not curdle.
- Add the fish pieces and cook till the fish is tender.
- Serve with jeera rice or plain parathas.
- Image: Flickr/creativecommons behzad k
Recipe courtesy of Anita Raheja