• 5-6 – drumsticks, peeled and chopped into fingers
• 2 – onions, finely sliced
• 1/2 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1/2 tsp – Rice
• 2 – dry red chillies, broken into half
• 2 tbsp – oil
• salt to taste
• Grind to paste: 3/4 cup – fresh coconut, grated
• 1/2 tsp – Cumin seeds
• 3 – Garlic Cloves
• 2 – green or red fresh chillies
• 2-3 pinches – Turmeric powder
- Boil the drumsticks in 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook until tender, then remove the lid.
- When almost the entire water has evaporated, drain and keep the drumsticks aside.
- Put the ground paste in the same pan and cover with the boiled drumsticks.
- Sprinkle with some salted water. Cover and cook until it releases steam.
- Stir gently. Sprinkle some more water. Cover and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add rice and mustard seeds.
- Allow to splutter, then add the chillies and onions.
- When the onions are transparent, pour over the drumstick mixture.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering