A popular South Indian preparation of rice in tangy lemon flavour
1 1/2 cups rice
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
2 dried red chilies
1 tbsp urad dal (split black gram)
1 tbsp chana dal (bengal gram)
1/2 cup raw peanuts
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
10-12 curry leaves
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp grated fresh coconut (optional)
2 tbsp oil or ghee (clarified butter)
Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak rice for about thirty minutes.
2. Drain and boil in plenty of salted water until almost done.
3. Drain and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai, add asafoetida, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
5. Add red chilies, urad dal, chana dal and fry until light brown.
6. Add peanuts and fry for a minute.
7. Add turmeric powder and stir fry for half a minute.
8. Add cooked rice, salt, lemon juice and mix well.
9. Garnish with grated coconut.
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes