• 6 finger sized – Mango Ginger
• 6 – Green chillies
• Salt to taste
• 1 Lemon size – Tamarind
• Turmeric powder – a pinch
• 1 tbsp – grated Jaggery
• For Grinding:
• 2 tsp – Urad Dal
• 1/2 tsp – Fenugreek seeds
• Curry leaves – a few
• For Seasoning:
• 2 tsp – gingili oil
• 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
• 1 tsp – Channa dal
• 1/4 tsp – asafetida
- Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice and keep it aside.
- Finely chop the mango ginger and green chillies and keep it aside.
- Dry fry the urad dal, fenugreek and curry leaves till the colour of the dal changes light brown.
- Grind to a fine powder.
- Heat a pan, pour gingili oil and fry the finely chopped mango ginger and green chilli for about 5 mins in a low flame.
- Grind into a fine paste.
- In a pan heat gingili oil and splutter mustard seeds.
- Add channa dal, curry leaves and asafoetida and fry it till the dal becomes light brown colour.
- Add the tamarind extract, turmeric powder and salt and let the mixture boils for 5 mins in the medium flame.
- Finally add the ground powder, ground paste and add the grated jaggery.
- Boil for a while and remove from flame.
- Recipe courtesy: Subbu’s Kitchen
Recipe courtesy of Subbalakshmi Ranganathan