• For Khakras:
• 1 cup – whole Wheat flour
• 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
• 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
• 1 tbsp kasoori Methi
• 1/2 tbsp dry pudina (mint powder)
• 1 tbsp oil
• Salt to taste
- Sieve flour and salt.
- Add all the ingredients and knead to a soft pliable dough.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide portions into 1/3 size of ping pong balls.
- Mould into a pattie, roll as thin as possible (wafer thin is good).
- Use dry flour for dusting while rolling.
- If you are not very fast, spread a clean bed sheet and put each round on it, as you roll.
- Finish with all the dough.
- Heat griddle and roast each round on it, lightly, on both sides.
- Apply some ghee, rubbing two rounds against each other to coat both on one side. Pile up and cool for 10 mins.
- To make the khakras:
- Put one semi roasted round on warm griddle.
- Use a thick, kitchen towel to press.
- On low flame, press and roast, lightly moving it on griddle in a circular motion.
- When one side is light golden and specky, flip and repeat for other side.
- Repeat with all rounds. Pile onto a cloth as done.
- Cool thoroughly before storing in an airtight container.
- Serve with any chutney.
Recipe courtesy of Saroj Kering