Healthy and light recipe made with lentils, rich in protein
2 1/2 cups moong dal (split green moong dal)
2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garam masala
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Oil for frying
1 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak dal overnight.
2. Next day grind soaked dal to make a smooth paste.
3. For pakodi take 3/4th portion of the ground paste. Mix 1 teaspoon red chilli powder and salt to taste to form a thick batter.
4. Heat oil in a kadhai or pan and deep fry medium sized dumplings until golden brown. Remove on absorbent paper and keep aside.
5. Mix 2 cups water with left over dal paste and keep aside.
6. For gravy, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a kadhai, add hing, cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
7. Now add red chilli powder and the dal paste mixed with water.
8. Keep stirring over high heat, until it boils.
9. Now add salt, garam masala, fried pakodis and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes